FROM ITS FOUNDATION TO TODAY
1895: Václav Laurin and Václav Klement, two enthusiastic cyclists, founded their Laurin & Klement bicycle factory in the Bohemian town of Mladá Boleslav.
1905: Following early prototypes from around the turn of the century, the company starts making cars in 1905.
1925: Merger with the ŠKODA works in Plzeň.
1939-1945/48: The German occupation from 1939 to 1945 integrates ŠKODA into the German Reich.
1948-1989/90: In the first election after the Second World War, the communists come to power and apply their ideology to the economy. That same year the company in Mladá Boleslav is nationalised as AZNP ŠKODA (a publically owned enterprise).
1991: Following the political transformation in 1989, ŠKODA in Mladá Boleslav starts its search for a strong foreign partner that can help restore its competitive international profile over the long term. In December of 1990 the government of Czechoslovakia decides on a partnership with the Volkswagen Group. The ŠKODA-Volkswagen entity is launched on 16 April 1991 under the name ŠKODA automobilová a.s. and ŠKODA becomes the Group’s fourth brand along with VW, Audi and SEAT.