What should you expect when you buy an electric car? Above all, a new driving experience. And initially, perhaps, the need to get used to new habits and behaviours. But go for it – there’s really nothing to worry about.
Is it necessary to start up a Škoda electric car?
No, that’s something you’ll never have to do again. Once you’re in, just press the brake pedal – and that’s it. The car is then activated, as indicated by a message displayed on the Virtual Cockpit. Then you just have to put the car in drive and set off. And it’s just as easy when you reach the end of your journey – just get out and the car deactivates itself.
Driving and operating an electric car is a piece of cake.
Do you need to change gear when driving a Škoda electric car?
No. Of course, you still have to select forward or reverse motion, like in cars with automatic transmissions. But the car’s electric motor operates over a wide range of revolutions without the need to change gear, and with maximum torque available even at zero revs.
What about the car’s range?
The range per charge is improving with each new generation of electric cars. The Škoda Enyaq iV provides a range of up to 547 kilometres, which is plenty for the vast majority of journey scenarios. Ideally, you can charge it regularly at home overnight or at work during the day. For longer journeys, it’s a good idea to check in advance to find charging stations where you can stop along the way to partially or fully recharge the battery. There are lots of factors that affect a car’s range, including driving style, speed and the temperature outside and inside the car.
The navigation system can easily find you the nearest charging stations, which makes route planning simpler.
How does charging work and how long does it take?
There are two charging methods: alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC). AC charging is not as fast as DC charging, which is related to the power supplied by the mains. In addition, 230 V or 400 V sockets in the household network supply alternating current, which the electric vehicle has to convert into direct current. Charging from a three-phase socket is faster due to the higher energy flow, but the current still needs to be changed from AC to DC. The fastest way is DC charging from a charger designed specifically for electric vehicles. Charging is a non-linear process – it takes just 36 minutes to charge a high-voltage battery from 10% to 80% capacity at fast-charging stations, but the remaining 20 percent can take about the same length of time.
Naturally, Škoda electric cars come with charging cables and other handy accessories like cable storage bags.
What is a wallbox?
A wallbox is a wall-mounted charging device for electric vehicles. It is powered by alternating current. The Škoda iV Charger, the Czech carmaker’s official wallbox, is available in three models, each offering a different level of functionality.