After the Great War, Laurin & Klement diversified their activities considerably to take in bicycles, motorbikes, cars, lorries, buses, agricultural engines, and even airplane engines. But in 1924, amid financial problems and after a fire had ravaged the premises, the brand had to search for a new industrial partner. For its part, ŠKODA Works, then one of Europe’s largest industrial groups, with activities ranging from armaments to railways as well as aviation and shipyards, among other things , was just venturing into the automotive industry and likewise was seeking a partner already established in this field. A merger was concluded with Laurin & Klement. From that time, the vehicles were to be sold under the ŠKODA brand, bearing a new logo which combined the identities of the two partners: the name ŠKODA surrounded by the crown of laurel.